How do I even get started teaching in Japan?

by Ben

How would i start teaching English in japan, like what do I do to begin?

Comments for How do I even get started teaching in Japan?

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Feb 16, 2017
can anyone apply?
by: AnonymouDaniel

Hi, I stay in South Africa, can and how do i get to be able to teach English in Japan, and what Visa do i need , if i do need a visa at all? Thank you

Jan 08, 2017
UK Working Holiday Visa Guidelines From MOFA
by: All About Teaching English In Japan.Com

With so little information provided by you other than nationality, it's tough to answer the question but if you are an UK citizen then you qualify for the Working Holiday Visa Program -provided of course that you meet the MOFA standard.

Working Holiday Visa Standards From MOFA or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.


Both the governments of Japan and the United Kingdom are committed to cultivating, a closer bilateral relationship among their citizens and promoting mutual understanding between the two countries. From 2001, Japan has operated the "Working Holiday Scheme" for the British, and the UK operated the "Japan: Youth Exchange Scheme" for the Japanese, both of which provide wider opportunities for young people to experience the culture and general way of life in the other country.

Under the"Working Holiday Scheme", a limited number of British citizens who wish to stay in Japan up to one year primarily for a holiday may be granted a visa which allows them to enter Japan for up to one year, and take work for up to one year, incidental to their holiday in order to supplement their travel funds.

British participants need not obtain further permission to engage in remunerative activities while in Japan, although they are not allowed to be engaged in activities at certain sites stipulated under the Law on Control and Improvement of Amusement and Entertainment Businesses.*

*These sites include: where adult entertainment related businesses are carried out.

In October 2008, the government of the United Kingdom announced that it would introduce a new scheme for young people, the "Youth Mobility Scheme (YMS)", which would replace the UK's existing scheme for young people, including the "Japan: Youth Exchange Scheme".

Following consultations between the two governments, it was arranged that Japan would be one of the first four participating countries in the YMS from its launch on 27 November, 2008.

Although this new development does not change the basic structure (as described in the previous paragraph) of the "Working Holiday Scheme", the government of Japan is pleased to announce that, from the same date as the launch of the YMS, a wider range of British citizens have become eligible for the "Working Holiday Scheme" as indicated below.

The annual number of British citizens permitted on the Working Holiday Scheme is currently limited to 1000.

Acceptance of applications will be closed when the number of visas issued reaches this number.

Applicant Prerequisites:
Working Holiday Visas, valid for a period of one year from the date of issue, are issued to persons who satisfy all of the following

Be British Citizens who are residents in the United Kingdom.

Intend primarily to holiday in Japan for a period of up to one year from the date of entry.
Be aged between eighteen (18) and thirty (30) years both inclusive at the time of application for a Working Holiday Visa.

Be persons who are not accompanied by children.

Be persons who are not accompanied by spouses unless those spouses are in possession of a Working Holiday Visa or otherwise.

Possess a valid passport and a return travel ticket or sufficient funds with which to purchase such a ticket.

Possess reasonable funds for their maintenance during the period of initial stay in Japan.

Intend to leave Japan at the end of their stay.

Have not previously been issued a Working Holiday Visa (except where you were unable to use the Working Holiday visa issued due to unavoidable circumstances, and an application for re-issue is made no more than 3 months from the expiry date of the original Working Holiday visa.)

Have good health.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Jobs in Japan.

Advertise With Us

FREE E-Book. Speed Learn Japanese & Get Our Newsletter on Japanese Proverbs and Cool Expressions.

Recent Articles

  1. Find Teaching Jobs Abroad

    Mar 21, 18 01:25 AM

    Find Teaching Jobs in Japan on our Teaching Jobs Abroad Page. Full-time & Part-time Listings for Jobs All Over Japan. Teaching Jobs added almost daily.

    Read On

  2. Find Teaching Jobs Overseas in Japan. Part-Time ESL Jobs Country Wide

    Mar 16, 18 09:49 AM

    Find Teaching Jobs Overseas and Experience Japan Through a Teacher's Eyes! Big Bustling Cities Like Tokyo or Seaside Undiscovered Gems Like Ako!

    Read On

  3. Japanese Audio Books. Fast and Cheap Way to Improve Your Japanese.

    Mar 08, 18 05:13 AM

    Japanese audio books. Handy, powerful and a cheap way to get your hearing comprehension smoking. Read and speak along with native Japanese teachers to master any simple and complex dialogues.

    Read On

  4. Online English Teaching Positions Directory

    Mar 07, 18 10:20 AM

    description of picSurf through our online teaching companies directory and get a job teaching ESL from the comfort of your own home. Set your own hours and wages. We will be constantly adding to our directory as this e…

    Read On

  5. Japanese Pod 101 Breakthrough Sale. 28% Off. Ends March 2nd.

    Feb 28, 18 10:34 PM

    description of pic Learn Japanese On-line. Get 28% OFF Basic, Premium or Premium PLUS! Choose from 1-, 3-, 6-, 12- or 24-month subscriptions and unlock all of our best audio lessons, video lessons, PDF lesson notes, Pre…

    Read On

  6. TEFL Degree And 2 Years Experience in Brazil

    Feb 24, 18 10:37 PM

    Hi I am now retired and have time on my hands and have always wanted to teach English in Nagoya. I have a TEFL cert, have 2 years teaching experience

    Read On