, pub-2424095176038874, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0

How Can I Take my Wife to Work With me?

by Jorge Beltran
(Chula Viista)

My wife and I are planning on moving to Japan. I'd be the one teaching English, being the major breadwinner, the traveling and residence and everything would orbit around me. She might find some other job later. How can this be done?

Comments for How Can I Take my Wife to Work With me?

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Nov 11, 2016
Couples who want to work together in Japan
by: John

Hi Jorge,
Thanks for the e-mail. Basically, trying to find work for two is NOT a good selling point to mention during interviews - if disclosed to the employer. Companies don't like it. So you don't need to mention that you are searching for English teaching jobs for two.

Why don't they like hiring man & wife at the same company? Quite a few reasons. 1). When the couple has a fight, they bring their feelings into the company which messes with the atmosphere. If they (the couple) have a falling out both sometimes quit. It doubles the risk for the company as they have to replace two instead of one.

I would target large cities where you can find work as the main bread winner and then when your significant other is ready, she can also find work. If you target or get hired by a small company, things like having more time together will be harder as one of you will probably have a significant commute.

So this means you are looking at cities where she can quickly find work within a train stop or two from where you are working. This means Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya, Kobe, Yokohama etc.

The one thing that you need to be concerned about is apartment size. a 1dk, which is typically assigned to a single guy is pretty tight for two people.
here is a link to our apartment pages. Other than that, if you choose a sizable city it should be no problem finding jobs, provided of course you are BOTH qualified so that sponsorship and or visas are not a problem. So in other words both of you must meet working visa requirements. If your wife does not, she has 90 days before she is deemed to be residing illegally.

I Hope this helps and good luck

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Jobs in Japan.

Advertise Here
Get Noticed
Get Traffic 
Find out more here

FREE E-Book. Speed Learn Japanese & Get Our Newsletter on Japanese Proverbs and Cool Expressions.

Recent Articles

  1. Unnaturally Colored Hair and Interviewing for a Job in Japan

    Feb 23, 20 06:26 AM

    Tremendous site! I'm American and seriously considering applying for English teaching jobs in Japan. I currently have pink hair with blue streaks with

    Read On

  2. Find Teaching Jobs Overseas in Japan. Part-Time ESL Jobs Country Wide

    Feb 19, 20 03:45 PM

    Find Teaching Jobs Overseas and Experience Japan Through a Teacher's Eyes! Big Bustling Cities Like Tokyo or Seaside Undiscovered Gems Like Nikko!

    Read On

  3. i-to-i's February Flash Sale! Get 60% Off Level 5 Courses

    Feb 18, 20 03:51 AM

    i-to-i is running a flash sale offering an EXTRA 10% off their popular Level 5 online TEFL course.

    Was $995 now marked down to $398!

    Online only. It is a CELTA equivalent course. It includes support a…

    Read On

  4. Find Teaching Jobs Abroad in Japan. Both Full -Time & Part -Time Work.

    Feb 18, 20 12:29 AM

    Find Teaching Jobs in Japan on our Teaching Jobs Abroad Page. Full-time & Part-time Listings for Jobs All Over Japan. Teaching Jobs added almost daily.

    Read On

  5. ESL Employment With Gaba English School

    Feb 08, 20 12:49 AM

    Gaba English School. If you need flexibility in your ESL career, Gaba might be worth looking into especially if you are new to teaching English in Japan.

    Read On

  6. The Good, Bad And The Ugly - ESL Teaching in Japan

    Feb 05, 20 10:59 AM

    I did my time. I spent 10 years teaching at the university level. So I've seen some stuff in my day. First up is the things I totally loved about teaching

    Read On

  7. Packing Tips: What to Bring to Japan & What You Should Leave Behind

    Jan 30, 20 12:48 AM

    Get Your Career Teaching in Japan Off to a Good Start! Packing Tips, What to Bring and What to Leave Home.

    Read On