Working Holiday Visa Australia

Working holiday visa Australia - What is it?

Basically it is an agreement that Australia has with Japan that allows people of both countries to spend time on holiday and actually work so that they can afford to spend time on holiday doing the usual things like sightseeing and other recreational activities. The actual purpose is not for full-out working at an English conversation school or studying Japanese at a school.

In a sense it is a bit like the Jet Program in the sense that the purpose of the Jet Program is to foster mutual understanding of each other's cultures via. education. Whereas an Australian working holiday visa has similar aims but it's primary focus is on a cultural level.  Whereas with the Jet program it is more focused on an educational level in terms of helping Japanese high school students to speak and understand English in addition to some level of developing an awareness of foreign cultures.

Working Holiday Visa Australia. It all Begins with a Travel Passport and a Wad of Cash.

Working Holiday Visa AustraliaWorking Holiday Visa Australia

 In order for an Australian to get a working holiday visa there are a few qualifications the applicant must have.

It kind of goes without saying that first and foremost you'll need a passport. That will set you back $282 dollars. That is for a 10 year validity term. (A replacement visa will cost you $142. Of course all of these numbers are in Australian dollars.)  There is an age limit as well as you need to be between 18 and 30 years of age at the time of  actual application for your visa.

Also the visa extends to you and not to anyone else so for example if you have dependents (children) etc. they don't get a free ride in on your visa. You will also need a return ticket as they need to know you're not planning on going on a 10 year party in Japan without a proper working  visa. If you don't have this you'll have to show sufficient funds to buy one.

Australian Working Holiday Visa Limitations

  • It's also necessary to show that you have "reasonable funds"  to maintain your stay to be issued your working holiday visa. (How they determine this we don't know.) The visa is good for 12 months but you have to extend your visa after 6 months at your local immigration office and pay 400 yen.
  • Another thing that the Japanese government kind of frowns upon is the type of work that you do with your working holiday visa. They um... well... don't want you to be working in night clubs or the "mizu shobai" as they call it over here.
  • When you apply for your Australian working holiday visa you need to be present in Australia at the time of application or in other words - apply from Australia. So if you are in Jamaica visiting friends you can't apply for a working holiday visa from there.
  • A couple more on their list is that you need to be in good health.  And you can't have applied for one before. They are pretty much hip to the the skip of multiple applications.
  •  Also you DO NOT have to have a 4 year degree in order to get a working holiday visa Japanese immigration does not mandate a degree.

However it is not the easiest way to get a job. Note: We didn't say impossible (never did like that word), but your employer will know that you are limited to a 1 year stay in Japan and upon the expiration of your WHV you will have to change your visa status. If you don't have a degree, a company can't sponsor you for a teaching visa. So the long and short of it is that you will have to find an employer who is willing to hire you for a year.

Return to Jobs in Japan

Advertise With Us

FREE E-Book. Speed Learn Japanese & Get Our Newsletter on Japanese Proverbs and Cool Expressions.

Recent Articles

  1. Find Teaching Jobs Abroad

    Feb 15, 18 11:29 PM

    Find Teaching Jobs in Japan on our Teaching Jobs Abroad Page. Full-time & Part-time Listings for Jobs All Over Japan. Teaching Jobs added almost daily.

    Read On

  2. Working in Japan with only a Diploma and TEFL Certification.

    Feb 11, 18 09:56 AM

    Hi There, Is it possible to get a teaching job in Japan without a 4 year degree? I currently hold a diploma, and I am looking at getting TEFL Certified,

    Read On

  3. Visa Situation for Travelling with Family to Teach in Japan

    Feb 09, 18 06:03 AM

    I am looking at traveling to Japan with my family. I will be working while the husband minds the kids. Do you know how the visas would work? Say I found

    Read On

  4. Japanese Pod 101 Breakthrough Sale. 28% Off

    Feb 07, 18 12:09 PM

    description of pic Learn Japanese On-line. Get 28% OFF Basic, Premium or Premium PLUS! Choose from 1-, 3-, 6-, 12- or 24-month subscriptions and unlock all of our best audio lessons, video lessons, PDF lesson notes, Pre…

    Read On

  5. Is it Possible to Get Hired From Outside Japan?

    Jan 31, 18 07:17 AM

    Hello, I have a kind of question that may need a long answer. I'm 24 years old, and I don't have any degree done yet, though if I go full-time for schooling

    Read On

  6. Is a Minor Health Condition a Problem For Teaching in Japan?

    Jan 26, 18 08:30 AM

    I went through the JET process 4 years ago...made it past the initial stage and the US person was very positive about my chances as I have TEFL certification

    Read On